The road to recovery can be full of discouragements and setbacks in the form of relapses and stigma. Part of ensuring a smooth transition is having a great treatment center take care of your needs throughout the recovery process.
Whether to choose an alcohol treatment center or a dual diagnosis center like The Edge Treatment definitely depends on your history and preference. To help you make a better-informed choice, here are some pros and cons that you can look into:
Alcohol treatment centers:
Different centers are serving diverse needs, including in-patient, out-patient and local or out-of-state centers.
Here are some pros and cons of different alcohol treatment centers.
Residential treatment: this in-patient form of treatment usually involves staying in the center during which you go through various forms of treatment to help you out.
Pros of residential treatments:
- You receive care 24/7 and support from the staff
- There is the use of medical intervention in a safe and controlled environment
- The environment does not contain any triggers or drugs and alcohol
- There are facts and real-life results to give hope for improvement.
Cons of residential treatment:
- It tends to be more costly
- It requires you to be completely segregated from family and work during that period.
This is the type of treatment that is done by having the patient come into the clinic at the scheduled times for visits and counselling sessions.
Pros of outpatient treatment:
- Your life is fairly undisrupted as you can schedule your appointments around work, school, and family duties.
- It has lower costs as compared to in-patient programs
- It feels less invasive
Cons of outpatient programs:
- There is a higher probability of relapse, as the environment is not much controlled
- The care cannot be as holistic because caregivers only have a limited amount of time with the patient.
Local rehab programs: these are localized rehab programs that are not out of town or too far from home.
Pros of choosing local rehab:
- It is cost-effective, as you do not need to go far away
- You can stay close to your established support system
- It is easier to receive ongoing support for the addiction.
Cons of Local Rehab Centers:
- They may be too close to trigger points in the family and the general environment
- It is easy to get distracted in a local rehab center
- There is little anonymity when you are in a local rehab center, and this might have a danger of bringing stigma
Dual diagnosis centers:
A dual diagnosis means that the patient has been diagnosed with an addiction disorder and also with a mental illness or disorder. This might be having PTSD and gambling problems at the same time.
Pros of dual diagnostic centers:
- With the use of different techniques and therapy, it is possible to get to the root of the problem. Since the mental illnesses and addictions are co-related, being negligent of one will lead to its emergence after a while. For example, if PTSD has led to having an addiction to alcohol to numb the feelings, simply treating the addiction will not make it go away. You have to deal with PTSD to make sure it doesn’t have a reactive chain again.
- It can be easier to get rid of substance addiction with dual diagnostic centers because the cause of the addiction is addressed hands-on
- Dual diagnostic centers encourage a more holistic approach to recovery.
Cons of dual diagnostic centers:
- It takes a longer time to go through the centers
- There is a disconnect on which method to use in treatment service; whether to treat the addiction and the mental illness co-currently or deal with one at a time
- There is still a lot of research to be done on the area for streamlined services
The most important consideration is having a center that has your best interests at heart. As you look for the right center for you, make sure it cares for your well-being above everything else.